Friday – November 17, 2017 – The Greatest Sacrifice.
John 3:16 (NKJV) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
I know that Muhammed Ali used to call himself the greatest and in terms of boxing that may or may not be true. It is arguable because there have been so many great fighters in boxing history. As far as humanity is concerned there is none greater than Jesus. He had the greatest impact on humanity in all history and it is all because of the sacrifice that He paid on behalf of humanity. To me that is an uncontroversial claim. So, let’s look at someone else’s view of the greatness of Jesus’ sacrifice.
John 3:16 is one of the great verses of the Bible. According to Robert Boyd, it may be the greatest verse for these reasons:
- God — the greatest lover.
- So loved — the greatest degree.
- The world — the greatest company.
- That he gave — the greatest act.
- His only begotten Son — the greatest gift.
- That whosoever — the greatest opportunity.
- Believes — the greatest simplicity.
- In him — the greatest attraction.
- Should not perish — the greatest promise.
- But — the greatest difference.
- Have — the greatest certainty.
- Everlasting life — the greatest possession.
If you need a verse that teaches how important giving is, there is no greater verse than John 3:16.
Prayer: Jesus, thank you for your sacrifice. It is because of what You have done that I am willing and able to sacrifice to advance Your claims and Your cause.